King Chulalongkorn officially opened the first section of the Southern Line on 19th June 1903. At that time it only went from Bangkok Noi Station to Phetchaburi Station and so it was originally called “The Phetchaburi Railway Route”. The 150 kilometre line had 30 stations including the two terminal stations. The opening ceremony was held in front of Wat Amarintraram in Bangkok Noi. As well as other members of the royal family, there were also civil servants, ambassadors, consuls, representatives of foreign governments and other foreign traders at the ceremony. His Highness expressed his delight in the completion of the construction of this railway line by bestowing royal decorations and certificates to government officials in the Railway Department. The line was extended to the seaside resorts of Cha-am in June 1911 and Hua Hin in November 1911.